In response to the last Council meeting, the headlines on www.lbreport.com proclaim: Previous City Hall Non-Responsive Response To State Agency On Underground Storage Tanks = $1.7 Million Fine (And More) For City Taxpayers...So What Happened?
Publisher Bill Pearl goes on in the article to state:This isn't about storage tanks. It's about a lack of Council oversight and managerial accountability with public money.
Well folks, the council had nothing to do with the leaky tanks. I first learned of them when I came into council and was told in a closed session that we had a problem and were facing millions of dollars in fines. I dare say most councilmembers were shocked to learn that we had the tanks. From what management told us -- the persons who should have been responsible for monitoring and repairing the tanks are no longer with the city.
Was this a lack of Council oversight? I don't think so. We are part-time and short of us and our staff going out to each department of the city and checking what they do or don't do, there are some things we aren't going to know until it becomes a problem. I can just hear the screaming about micro-managing if we did that.
But the bigger story out there that hasn't been covered is the fact the city of Long Beach has to pay to clean up those leaky tanks (in which they stored fuel for City vehicles) and the oil companies who own gas stations receive a bail out from the taxes we pay when we buy gasoline to clean up when their underground leak.
Here's how it works -- you and I pay 14 cents at the pump for each 10 gallons we pump -- which goes into a fund to be used to clean up leaky underground storage tanks. The oil companies have collected $490 million from the fund to clean up their leaky storage tanks.
Senator Alan Lowenthal carried legislation last year that Gov. Schwarzenegger signed that extended this largess to the oil companies. (The fund was originally set up to help small mom and pop gas stations, especially in rural areas.)
Meanwhile, back in Long Beach, we have to pay a fine for not having cleaned the tanks up sooner.
The oil companies contributed millions in campaign contributions to get this special treatment by Sacramento. Hard to compete with that, taxpayers.
Notice: This is not a City of Long Beach site.
Dear Readers: Please note that this is not a City of Long Beach website and is not paid for nor maintained by taxpayer funds.
If you contact Gerrie Schipske through this site on any matter pertaining to the City of Long Beach, a copy of your contact will be forwarded to her official city email as an official public record.
Save Station 18
Popular Posts
-
English: The Port of Los Angeles, 1913. (Photo credit: Wikipedia ) There is no doubt that the Ports of Long Beach and Los Angeles need...
-
Last night at the Council's first budget session, I asked the City Manager why there are no performance measures in his or the Mayor...
-
After 39 years of service to the City of Long Beach , City Attorney Robert Shannon has retired. The City Attorney is elected by the vo...
-
I just polled my email readers and asked: Do you think the City Council should vote to support a parcel tax that would assess residential a...
-
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Councilwoman Gerrie Schipske Joins LAEDC Jobs Defense Council Long Beach, CA – November 20, 2013 – Councilwoman ...
-
Long Beach Police Department (California) (Photo credit: Wikipedia ) 12/12/2013 FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE PRESS RELEASE #2012 Subje...
-
In 2007, I was appointed a "public" (non-physician) member to the California Medical Board by the Senate Rules Committee. I am cur...
-
Giving Thanks (Photo credit: mRio ) Dear Friend, I just wanted to say thanks. As I wrapped up my Council work for this week a...
-
From the New York Times today: A nurse famously photographed being kissed by an American sailor in New York's Times Square in 1945 to ...
-
The 5th District received a gift of green as 50 crew members of the USS Dewey joined 70 others from the neighborhood, El Dorado Park South A...