I am finishing up two days of a quarterly meeting in Sacramento on the Medicsl Board of California. I have been reappointed for another four years by the Senate Rules Committee. I serve as a public (non physician) member. There are 15 on the board. Eight are
Physicians. Seven are public members. While there is not a slot for other health care professionals, I am the first and only registered Nurse on this board and any other Medical Board in the US.
The Board licenses and disciplines the over 130,000 MDs. We also oversee physician assistants, licensed midwives (non nurse midwives),lens and glasses dispensers, and a new category of polysomnographers-professionals who test for sleep apnea. I currently serve on the Executive board as secretary. I chair the committee on physician supervision and have been working on regulations to deal with the legislation on how physicians should supervise licensed staff in doing laser or light pulse therapies for cosmetic purposes.
Between meetings all board members must review numerous cases on line and render a vote on proposed discipline being considered for physicians who have broken the law.
As part of my health care administration classes I teach at CSULB, I teach about the board and how consumers need to be aware of its functions.
I honored to serve on this board and look forward to my next 4 years.
Notice: This is not a City of Long Beach site.
Dear Readers: Please note that this is not a City of Long Beach website and is not paid for nor maintained by taxpayer funds.
If you contact Gerrie Schipske through this site on any matter pertaining to the City of Long Beach, a copy of your contact will be forwarded to her official city email as an official public record.
Friday, July 20, 2012
Save Station 18
Popular Posts
-
Councilwoman Gerrie Schipske today expressed her concern upon learning that the company used by the City of Long Beach to send out the notic...
-
From the New York Times today: A nurse famously photographed being kissed by an American sailor in New York's Times Square in 1945 to ...
-
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Councilwoman Gerrie Schipske Joins LAEDC Jobs Defense Council Long Beach, CA – November 20, 2013 – Councilwoman ...
-
English: The Port of Los Angeles, 1913. (Photo credit: Wikipedia ) There is no doubt that the Ports of Long Beach and Los Angeles need...
-
Long Beach city management today (April 26) released a Request for Qualifications (RFQ) inviting interested parties to submit their qual...
-
We Love Long Beach hosted a breakfast last Saturday at Marshall Jr. High in the 5th Council District. What a wonderful turnout. Great energy...
-
Sunlight Foundation (Photo credit: Wikipedia ) A couple of years ago I brought an item to the Council agenda asking that we "sunshi...
-
You are invited to a Halloween Kiddie Karnival (for children up to 10) at El Dorado Community Center from 1 - 5 pm on October 26th.. A-Sca...
-
I just polled my email readers and asked: Do you think the City Council should vote to support a parcel tax that would assess residential a...
-
Long Beach Police Department (California) (Photo credit: Wikipedia ) 12/12/2013 FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE PRESS RELEASE #2012 Subje...