Notice: This is not a City of Long Beach site.

Dear Readers: Please note that this is not a City of Long Beach website and is not paid for nor maintained by taxpayer funds.

If you contact Gerrie Schipske through this site on any matter pertaining to the City of Long Beach, a copy of your contact will be forwarded to her official city email as an official public record.

Friday, May 20, 2011

Schipske and Garcia to Walk Together in Gay Pride Parade

Following my earlier blog posting today, Councilman Robert Garcia and I exchanged a series of emails discussing the need to make it clear to the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community that the two of  us are not engaged in any type of fight about the issue of naming space in honor of Harvey Milk.

I suggested to Councilman Garcia that the two of us walk together at the upcoming Sunday Gay Pride Parade to demonstrate our unity.  He agreed. (I do hope we have a backup car just in case my feet give out.)


Both of us understand how very important this weekend is to our community and how significant it is that Long Beach has two openly lesbian and gay elected officials who both care deeply about our City and all of its residents.

I've cautioned Councilman Garcia that our walking together without my partner, Flo, will be the talk of the community.  But in the words of my favorite (maybe lesbian) singer, Anne Murray: "Let's give them something to talk about."

Save Station 18

Popular Posts