The City has received news...or let's say it became public.. but the price per barrel of oil has been much higher over the past year than was budgeted. City management budgeted oil revenue at $45a barrel. The average price oil has been in excess of $65 a barrel.
Now I know this won't last forever or then again it might, but don't you all think it is time that if the city has this revenue that we restore the cuts that were made to public safety?
For instance, Station 19 in the 5th district was on a brown out last Sunday. I know because I went over to the station and no one was there for the entire afternoon (or at least til 3 pm when I left the adjacent park).
We should be taking that revenue and staffing the fire department. We do not need to risk being classified as a Class III fire department because of inadequate staffing levels. Fire insurance rates are determined by the quality of local fire departments.
We also should be taking that revenue and scheduling a police academy for the fall so that we don't go further behind on staffing levels.
I will be sending out a survey asking if you agree that any additional revenue should be spent on restoring cuts to public safety services.
Notice: This is not a City of Long Beach site.
Dear Readers: Please note that this is not a City of Long Beach website and is not paid for nor maintained by taxpayer funds.
If you contact Gerrie Schipske through this site on any matter pertaining to the City of Long Beach, a copy of your contact will be forwarded to her official city email as an official public record.
Save Station 18
Popular Posts
-
English: The Port of Los Angeles, 1913. (Photo credit: Wikipedia ) There is no doubt that the Ports of Long Beach and Los Angeles need...
-
Last night at the Council's first budget session, I asked the City Manager why there are no performance measures in his or the Mayor...
-
After 39 years of service to the City of Long Beach , City Attorney Robert Shannon has retired. The City Attorney is elected by the vo...
-
Giving Thanks (Photo credit: mRio ) Dear Friend, I just wanted to say thanks. As I wrapped up my Council work for this week a...
-
I just polled my email readers and asked: Do you think the City Council should vote to support a parcel tax that would assess residential a...
-
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Councilwoman Gerrie Schipske Joins LAEDC Jobs Defense Council Long Beach, CA – November 20, 2013 – Councilwoman ...
-
Long Beach Police Department (California) (Photo credit: Wikipedia ) 12/12/2013 FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE PRESS RELEASE #2012 Subje...
-
In 2007, I was appointed a "public" (non-physician) member to the California Medical Board by the Senate Rules Committee. I am cur...
-
From the New York Times today: A nurse famously photographed being kissed by an American sailor in New York's Times Square in 1945 to ...
-
The 5th District received a gift of green as 50 crew members of the USS Dewey joined 70 others from the neighborhood, El Dorado Park South A...
