Notice: This is not a City of Long Beach site.

Dear Readers: Please note that this is not a City of Long Beach website and is not paid for nor maintained by taxpayer funds.

If you contact Gerrie Schipske through this site on any matter pertaining to the City of Long Beach, a copy of your contact will be forwarded to her official city email as an official public record.

Friday, August 5, 2011

Press Asks Why I Wasn't at Rally Against Hate Crimes

How do I begin? Last week I learned of a management proposal to seriously restructure the fire department. I asked my staff to get a community room at El Dorado park and we sent out an invitation to my constituents on AUGUST 1 announcing a meeting on Thursday, August 4 at 6:30 pm to discuss the proposal. The local press ran articles about the meeting.

On Tuesday, August 2 during city council, members of the public came before the council about the recent hate crimes against gay men in Long Beach. I strongly condemned the crimes and even suggested how the victims could get compensation from the Victims of Crime fund. At the end of council I again announced my community meeting on public safety to be held on Thrs.

Not one word was mentioned during council or afterwards that there would be a public rally on this issue.

On Wednesday, August 3 at 2:45 pm my office received a email from another council office telling me of a rally at Hot Java to show outrage about the attacks and slurs. My staff reminded the other council office that I already had a meeting planned at the same time and that with such late notice I could not cancel the meeting.

I held my community meeting on the mayor's proposed serious cuts to the fire department on Thursday, August 4th at 6:30 pm.

However, I sent my staff to the rally to make sure people knew of my support.

Now I get calls from the press asking why I wasn't there? Come on. Stop looking to make trouble in the lesbian and gay community.

Save Station 18

Popular Posts