Today in the Committee on Civil Service and Personnel which I chair, we discussed what it costs the city to let employees have a car full time. First of all, the city buys the car or leases it; then the city insures it; licenses it; pays gas and oil for it; and pays for maintenance.
Approximately 110 employees take cars home on a full time basis. The figures given to me today indicate it costs $310,000 a year for gas, oil and maintenance. The city self insures so there are no insurance premiums to pay. I did not get the figures for the purchase or lease of these cars.
I asked for a full report for City Council because we need to go after every nickle and dime. Here's a place to start. No city cars for anyone. Either provide a monthly auto allowance to cover wear, tear, gas, oil and maintenance for a city employee to use their own car or alternatively, require the monthly submission of mileage records for reimbursement.
Looking at this issue was a suggestion of many city employees who provided ideas on how the city can save money.
Notice: This is not a City of Long Beach site.
Dear Readers: Please note that this is not a City of Long Beach website and is not paid for nor maintained by taxpayer funds.
If you contact Gerrie Schipske through this site on any matter pertaining to the City of Long Beach, a copy of your contact will be forwarded to her official city email as an official public record.
Monday, June 8, 2009
Save Station 18
Popular Posts
-
I have missed very few council meetings in the 4 years I have been in office. Last night was one of those times. I had to attend to a family...
-
Schipske Launches "Shaping Up the 5th District" -- Combines Walking with Inventory of InfrastructureJune 20, 2011 – Is there a sidewalk that needs fixing in your neighborhood? Has a street sign faded and ...
-
Crime Time (Photo credit: Wikipedia ) I have received a number of memos and reports on city issues that I think you will find of interes...
-
The City of Long Beach takes pride in the open and transparent manner in which the City's budget is presented and discussed during the a...
-
Councilwoman Gerrie Schipske today expressed her concern upon learning that the company used by the City of Long Beach to send out the notic...
-
Two very wrong proposals were placed on the agenda that spend money we really don't have and to give authority to the City Manager to sp...
-
Tonight the City Council will decide whether or not to approved the 2nd and PCH project -- you know, the one that promises to obliterate the...
-
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Councilwoman Gerrie Schipske Joins LAEDC Jobs Defense Council Long Beach, CA – November 20, 2013 – Councilwoman ...
-
I discussed at length during yesterday's City Council's study session on the growing deficit that we need to engage the public in th...
-
Did you blink? Then you might have missed it. Late last week an item was placed on the Council agenda because I disclosed that the plastic b...
