Notice: This is not a City of Long Beach site.

Dear Readers: Please note that this is not a City of Long Beach website and is not paid for nor maintained by taxpayer funds.

If you contact Gerrie Schipske through this site on any matter pertaining to the City of Long Beach, a copy of your contact will be forwarded to her official city email as an official public record.

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Business license tax exemptions for artists

I raised some questions last night at council as to why we would waive business licenses for artists while so many small businesses are struggling in the city.

  • The home business license is $198 a year.
  • We don't have a definition of "artist."
  • We don't know how many home businesses or artist businesses this waiver would cover.
  • We still would need businesses to register with the city so that we don't have a proliferation of businesses operating without licenses.
I have a home business license because I am a writer and when I sell my books I have to be licensed as a business and I have to pay sales tax. The 5th Council district has a large number of home based businesses --because quite frankly it is the small business that is creating employment right now.

The arts are important to a community. But so is business and I don't want the city encouraging one type of business over another. Either give all small businesses a break on business licenses for a year or don't single out one type of business.

Save Station 18

Popular Posts